To change the order of system listing for multi-boot system (windows vs. linux)
- edit /etc/inittab (e.g., emacs /etc/inittab)
To switch between working desktop environments
- <cntl><alt> F1 for text termal
- <cntl><alt> F7 for xWindows
To see current processes
To restart network????????
To change text colors in NEdit
- go to Preferences - Default Settings - Syntax Highlighting - Text Drawing Styles
- can change color of highlighted region in Preferences - Default Settings - colors
To get the unsupported sound card chipset on Rancor to work
from this site
- per instructions from “dduardo - Configuring soundcard in linux Redhat 9″ on this forum.
- gunzipped files automagically are extracted to /tmp/audio….
- run installation ./install.sh (before this I actually typed ./alsoconf_nodialog , but I don’t think this worked.
- use alsamixer to adjust output volume
To play sounds on linux computer
- play beeps on PC speaker
- Other possible info for reducing latency
- Basic syntax
- grep searchWord searchPlace
- searchPlace can be “*” for a wildcard
- list just the filename, otherwise you’ll get filename: line containing searchWord
- grep -l searchWord searchPlace
- go recursively into subdirectories
- you can also list multiple subdirecties
- grep -r searchWord searchDirectory1 searchDirectory2
- send results of search to a file
- grep -r searchWord * > filename.ext
- search all subdirectories